Hawks and such

Hi folks;
A question, and a few observations.
I drive a good bit going to work, and a few days ago I saw a Red Tailed
Hawk carrying something in its talons. I at first thought it had made a
kill, but on reflection, I thought it might be carrying nest material. Do
they carry this in the beak or talons?
Also, the wife and I went to Lake Junaluska near Clyde NC, and saw some
Tree Swallows flying about. Also amongst the numerous Malards and Coots,
there were a very well dressed pair of American Wigeon (Baldpate). Be
nice if they bred here. But one funny looking bird, probably a captive
specimen of foreign origin, has long legs like a Whistling Duck, and a
very pretty plumage. It is not in any of my books. Any ideas from folks
in the area? I know I can't count it, just would like to know what it is!
Field Sparrows have been singing in Franklin (was there today), and also
heard White Throateds singing lustily. Red Winged BB's are there too,
near a little wet seep. Seems the only wet area near the Wal-Mart, and
there must be a hundred or so. Noisy. A few Grackles to make the noise
more interesting.
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.