Re: Hawks and such

ALEX . . .

Hawks do sometimes carry items in their beaks, but I think not for
any distance. Holding a stick--or a wiggly prey item--in the beak
such that it could flop around and poke an eyeball while in flight
wouldn't be prudent.

In addition, the feet of a raptor are much stronger than the beak. If
a bird valued a stick enough to take it home to mama, he'd likely
hold on to it with his talons. (Females also take sticks to papa, of
course.)

Raptors sometimes carry sticks into the air with their talons,
intentionally drop them, and dive to re-catch them--always with their
feet. Occasionally two or more birds will engage in this activity,
which sounds an awful lot like birds of prey at play.

Curiously, owls often fly with prey items in their beaks. Perhaps
it's more important at night to keep your feet free, just in case
things go bump in the night.

Happy Birding,

BILL

*********

>Hi folks;
>A question, and a few observations.
>I drive a good bit going to work, and a few days ago I saw a Red Tailed
>Hawk carrying something in its talons. I at first thought it had made a
>kill, but on reflection, I thought it might be carrying nest material. Do
>they carry this in the beak or talons?
>Also, the wife and I went to Lake Junaluska near Clyde NC, and saw some
>Tree Swallows flying about. Also amongst the numerous Malards and Coots,
>there were a very well dressed pair of American Wigeon (Baldpate). Be
>nice if they bred here. But one funny looking bird, probably a captive
>specimen of foreign origin, has long legs like a Whistling Duck, and a
>very pretty plumage. It is not in any of my books. Any ideas from folks
>in the area? I know I can't count it, just would like to know what it is!
>Field Sparrows have been singing in Franklin (was there today), and also
>heard White Throateds singing lustily. Red Winged BB's are there too,
>near a little wet seep. Seems the only wet area near the Wal-Mart, and
>there must be a hundred or so. Noisy. A few Grackles to make the noise
>more interesting.
>Alex Netherton
>The Appalachian Naturalist
>http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
>Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.

**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.