Re: chickadee nest

To Tracy and anyone else who wants to know, for birds that are likely to
start more than one brood per season, the nesting box should be cleaned out
as soon as the young have fledged.  This is particularly important because
parasites are a major cause of nesting mortality.  Most birds will seldom
use a nest a second time;  boxes containing dirty old nests will be
abandoned in favor of a new spot.  If you clean out the box right away, they
may decide to use it again;  in any case, it will be ready for another pair
looking for a place to raise a second brood.  I have had bluebirds build
fresh nests right on top of the old one when I have not been quick enough
about the housecleaning.

For those who are not sure if the birds are still in the box or not,  there
is a courteous way to approach.  Go to the side of a box and knock.  This
gives the bird a chance to leave rather than have it  fly out into your
face.

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com