Spring in Columbia

Some American Goldfinches returned to the feeders today for the first
time in awhile.  The White-Throated Sparrows are singing nicely now.
Other feeder/water drinking birds today included Brown-headed Cowbirds
(alas) along with the usual C. Chickadees, T. Titmice, N. Cardinals,
Brown-headed Nuthatches, C. Wrens, and so on.

I returned to our old home, now under contract, to enjoy the spring one
more time there before it is sold.  It is also in the Irmo area of Columbia,SC,
less than a mile from the Saluda Shoals Park.  I was excited to see
Red-headed Woodpeckers there, even though I already knew they were around.
The woods in back are more open now, as the crews knock down trees and push the
dirt around to make roads and bury pipes.  It is 30 rolling acres,
advertised as "heavily wooded", but few trees will remain once the houses
go into this development.  Many of the best trees were already harvested
a couple of years ago, and we never relocated the Pink Ladyslipper Orchids
that used to be there.

Anyway, it was clearly a birdy morning, with many Yellow-rumped Warblers
foraging high up in the White Oaks and other hardwoods, so I went in back
to check things out.  Pine Warblers trilled high overhead.  Chickadees,
Titmice, Wrens buzzed around.  A pair of Cardinals is building a nest in
the shrubs next to the deck.  Then I heard a singing Hermit Thrush
in the distance, where woods remain for now.  I turned around and saw
my first bright yellow flash of the spring, warbler yellow.  Close by was
a brilliant Palm Warbler, with bright chestnut crown and wagging tail.  Bird
number 106 for the yard!  Not bad, for a half-acre lot with no water.

Returning to the deck to enjoy the Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers,
I spotted a Hairy Woodpecker close by, then two.  They appeared to mate!
Then they flew off, one in hot pursuit of the other around the yard, just
like chasing hummingbirds (Anna's, esp.).  Twice they flashed by within a
foot of my head!

Such wonders will be fewer in future years, while Cowbirds will likely
be more numerous, but we must treasure these moments and draw strength
from the memory of them.

Jerry Griggs      j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC