Open Butterfly Trip to RARO

Folks,

I'm organizing an open invitation butterfly trip to Raven Rock State
Park on April 15th. So whatever your skill level from beginner to expert
your invited! RARO is a great place to butterfly with a great variety of
habitats to search in we should be able to find 25+ species of
butterflies. We should with some luck find some good rarities like
Cobweb Skipper, Carolina Roadside Skipper, Common Roadside Skipper and
Giant Yucca Skipper is possible. Also 6 species of swallowtails should
be flying, if were lucky we'll see them all. If the weather isn't so
good for butterflying the trip will be on the 16th.

Last year we saw and heard several species of spring warblers. Some folks
arrived at 8 am and did some birding before going out butterflying.

Well meet at 9 am at  the large parking lot past the park office at the
end of the road. In the morning well cover the main portion of the park.
You will want to bring your lunch as its nearly 10 miles back to
Lillington. Then after lunch well drive over to the north side of the
park and check out the power line as its one of the best butterfly
hangouts in the park. Id advise wearing  boots and jeans as the power
line walk is a bit roughed, but well worth the trouble. Also bring
water, sunscreen and bug repellent.

To get to the park from Raleigh take 401 to Lillington then north on 421
about 10 miles till you see the brown park sign then turn left and
follow it to the end of the road. From Greensboro follow 421 past
Sanford till you see the Raven Rock sign.

Please E mail me at birdcr@concentric.net  if you can make it or call me
at 919 732 6734 so in case of any weather changes we can inform you of a
change of plans.

Regards,

Randy Emmitt
NC Member at Large, Carolina Butterfly Society
Rougemont, NC