RSTO

Title: RSTO
At the Cedar Point Tidal Trail (off NC #58 just west of Emerald Isl), Thurs 3/27,  I video taped a towhee singing from a
small shrub.  I thought there was something different about the bird but
didn't put it together til I viewed the tape at home.   The bird had a white
iris.   I am familiar with the fact that the birds in Florida show iris
coloration difference i.e., white or yellow eyes.  I was not, however, aware that it
occured this far north.  I don't usually give much notice to towhees, other
then to note they are present,  you don't really have to see them well,
or even see them at all to know they are there.

According to "The Sparrows of the United States and Canada" Rising, Beadle, Academic Press, and as pointed out by J. S. Rose,  the  web-site of The Kentucky Ornithological Society   "The iris of the eye is bright red in northern birds, orange to orangish
white in the Towhees of coastal Georgia and northern Florida, and
yellowish white in central Florida birds."

Has anyone noticed many RSTOs with white eyes.  As mentioned above, I'm sure this occurs on the
coast and not inland.  Several southern species occur farther north on the
coast than they do inland--birds and butterflies included.

 Have I not been paying attention, or is this unusual.

Any comments?
--
Greg Dodge
Durham, NC