Eared Grebe at Hemingway, SC

On Sunday, April 2 Caroline Eastman and I were able to do a bit of birding
in Williamsburg County, SC on our way to/from a meeting on the coast.  We
dropped by the Hemingway sewage lagoons (33 degrees 46.38 minutes north, 79
degrees 25.90 minutes west; DeLorme atlas p. 49, B-7) and found a nice
breeding plumaged Eared Grebe with Ruddy Ducks in the second pond.

Here is our list from the Hemingway sewage lagoons:

Pied-billed Grebe        5
Eared Grebe              1
Turkey Vulture           3
Canada Goose          15   (non-migratory)
Wood Duck                2
Gadwall                     1
Mallard                     10  (feral)
Blue-winged Teal         6
Ruddy Duck              35
Killdeer                       3
Spotted Sandpiper       2
Mourning Dove            2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Fish Crow                  10
Tree Swallow              50
Eastern Bluebird           4
Northern Mockingbird    1
Eastern Towhee           2
Northern Cardinal         4
Eastern Meadowlark     5

Elsewhere in Williamsburg County we finally found a flock of Rock Doves, by
the railroad in "downtown" Salters, and so were able to finish out this
species, having now seen it in all 46 counties of the state.  Sometimes
"trash" birds are tough.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com