Bodie Island Ruff/Reeve

The ruff/reeve was still present at Bodie Island today,observed from 6:00 PM
until just before 6:30. The bird was still in the same general area, i.e.,
to the left of the lower platform near the NW corner of the pond.

After viewing the bird through the scope for a good fifteen minutes, we were
still unable to determine the sex, even with Hayman et al "Shorebirds" in
tow. The setting sun didn't provide a lot of light, but the bird most
closely resembled the "210C" plate in that book. which would be a a moulting
adult male. Didn't make sense given the time of year, but that's what it
looked like!!! We were unable to see any of the excess 'ruff' of plumage
that might identify it as a male in breeding or pre-breeding plumage. Beak
color was brown-black, breast areas mottling could be described as cinnamon
in the light, more chestnut in lesser light.

Either way, cool bird and thanks to Jeff Lewis for the tip!

Russ & Rose Lay
Nags Head, NC