Feeder lull, Acorn episodes, and Re: Winter reports

Hi Carolinabirders,

Things seem pretty quiet this week. Junco and White-throat numbers appear
to be tailing off, while nothing new has arrived in my neighborhood
except a few Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. The feeders are drawing very little
attention, except from the squirrels...

Ricky Davis just let me send in a late list of winter bird sightings. I'm
sure he might let others do so too, especially if you have some good
photos of rare visitors. For example, if anyone got a killer photo of the
Pacific-Slope Flycatcher and wanted to share (my picture of it stunk).
Ricky sent out postcards calling for reports to be edited into (or out
of) the winter report to North American Birds, but I'm not sure if he
ever made the request here on Carolinabirds.

While recently discussing bird-oriented TV shows, I mentioned one called
"Acorn, the Nature Nut". I just rediscovered the web site where one can
order episodes of "Acorn, the Nature Nut" on tape:
http://www.greatnorth.ab.ca/vhs.html
I'll close this post with the descriptions of the bird-related episodes.

Good birding,

Josh

Acorn: The Nature Nut

1. Winter Bird Watching
In winter, 2/3 of the summer bird species fly south; but those that
remain are easy to see against the snowy, leafless landscape. John
demonstrates how to attract birds through "squeaking and pishing,"
explains what to look for in binoculars, and identifies some colourful
denizens of the winter woods.

4. Spring Has Sprung
For bird watchers, spring migration is an annual highlight as birds
arrive in huge numbers in their brightest courtship plumage. At
Beaverhill Lake, one of North America's premier birding hotspots, John
takes us on a tour of the countryside while watching for migrating
shorebirds and raptors. The appearance of a hunting Peregrine Falcon,
complete with a high-speed dive at a Northern Shoveller, makes the day.

9. Butterflies & Flutter-Bys
Having written the book, Butterflies of Alberta, John is a natural to
discuss butterfly watching and butterfly gardening. The butterflies were
particularly cooperative and we feature stunning images of Anglewings,
Fritillaries, and a territorial Silver-Spotted Skipper. Lest anyone think
of butterfly watching as a sissy sport, catch John's interpretation of
the butterfly net as Samurai sword.

       10. Nature Photography: Telephoto
Natural subjects are usually too small or far away for normal photo
techniques. John discusses how to choose a telephoto lens, how to get
close to your subjects, and how to hold the camera steady for best
results. Special segments on sitting in "blinds" and stalking wild
creatures.

16. Avian Abodes & Birdsy Boudoirs
The easiest way to connect with wild birds is to attract them to your
yard, and bird boxes are a sure way to give yourself a first hand look at
birds. If you're not a great carpenter, don't fret. John will help you
get the job done to the birds' satisfaction.

20. Dragonflies: On Whooshy Wings
They're fast, they're colourful, and they're just about everywhere. We
look at dragonflies and damselflies, from egg to larva to fast-flying
adult.

41. Hummingbird Haven
Shot in Ramsey Canyon, Arizona, the hummingbird capital of North America,
this episode gives you all the tips you need for hummingbird watching, as
well as attracting them to your own yard.

44. A Lens Lover's Guide to Outdoor Optics
John Acorn's guide to selecting binoculars, hand lenses, spotting scopes
and more-packed with tips on how to use and care for your outdoor optics.

51. Woodpecker Checker
An up-close look at the world of woodpeckers-covering everything from
feeding these fascinating birds in your back yard to identifying the
various species.

53. Owl See You in My Dreams
Owls are everywhere, if you know where and how to look for them. With the
help of biologist Dr. Gordon Court and a captive Barred Owl named Hootie,
we find the wise but secretive owls of western Canada-Snowies, Great
Greys, Boreal and Great Horned Owls, among others.

55. Peregrine, You're Back Again
Once on the verge of extinction, the spectacular peregrine falcon is
making an amazing North American comeback. This bird is just as at home
among the tall buildings of modern cities as it is in its natural cliff
habitat. Join John Acorn as he seeks the fast flying raptor with the
"Elvis-like" sideburns.

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Zoology