Re: Avian Aquatics

Funny you should ask...

I spent last weekend installing a bird creek from avian aquatics - the 5 x
11, except I put in a bathtub-sized plastic pond at the end of the creek.
My waterfall falls into a 2x3 foot pool that is about a foot deep, then
shoals up to about 8 feet of gravel creek bed about 2-3" deep.  It then
streams into the pond, which is two levels for shallow and deep water
plants.  Deep part is about 18", and the shelves are about 9" deep.

The pond was a lot of work, digging, fitting and levelling, but the creek
itself was only a couple of hours to install.  I had to drain and refill the
system a couple of times to get the silt out, partly from construction and
partly from violent weather.  I still have some landscaping to do, but I
have most of the flat edging rock in place and it looks and sound great.
The birds are still just watching, and waiting for warmer weather.

The avian aquatics kit is very complete, with simple directions and
information about plants and fish.

Check out portalproductions.com for more information.  These folks run Cave
Creek Ranch in Portal AZ and actually sell Avian Aquatics stuff on the
side.  They have a list of birds that have used their bird creek that is
quite impressive.

I really like the pond - I expect frogs to colonize it and plan to add
bluegills and turtles.  My wife is encouraging me to replace it with a
larger one already.

Re maintenance - I want a natural ecosystem if I can create one, so I'm not
concerned about 'cleaning" per se.  I had seriously muddy water this weekend
and simply unplugged the return tube from the waterfall and pumped the pond
almost dry.  A little dipping with a bucket and swiping with a wet towel
cleaned it right up.

Couldn't find the flat edging rocks at Lowe's as promised, and Home Depot
has only really expensive rock that is too big.  I found a local rock yard
(with Tennessee rock; yours will be much higher quality in NC!) and spent
about $50 for almost enough to finish mine.

Will be happy to provide progress reports.

Tom Striker
Dunwoody, GA
770-395-7276
tstriker@bellsouth.net