salmonellosis

Note of concern:

I spoke with Cynthia Strain, president of the Highlands, NC Audubon
chapter, on 4/4 and she informed me of numerous reports in Macon and
Jackson Counties of sick and dying birds.

Salmomellosis is the suspected culprit. Specimens have been sent for
testing but no results yet. Pine siskins are the predominate species. Birds
look and act lethargic, heads droop, wings are out and feathers are
fluffed. They show no concern when approached. They may appear to be
breathing heavily.

The salmonella bacteria can be transferred to humans through contact with
sick birds, contact with contaminated feed and/or feeders, or through pets
that have come in contact with it.

Today, 4/5, a pine siskin with these symptoms showed up at my feeder in
Haywood County. No knowledge if this is local, regional, or national.
Fortunately, it is warming up and birds are not so feeder dependent now. If
a bird showing these symptoms appears it is best to take down feeders,
disinfect them and wait a couple of weeks before putting them back out.
Also be sure to clean beneath feeders and to disinfect baths.

Hopefully this problem won't spread.

Don Hendershot
Waynesville, NC
A Walk On The Wild Side  www.outdoorfun.com/walk.htm

Ps. Best to wear gloves when cleaning contaminated areas and/or object. One
can pick up dead birds in a plastic bag, tie, and dispose in garbage.