Re: Paint-eating Blue Jay

CLAUDIA . . .

Is the railing painted white?

Blue Jays frequently eat white bits of egg shell; they also seem to
have an eye for adding white things to their nest--as described in an
earlier thread on CarolinaBirds. Perhaps this jay THINKS it's found a
mother lode of calcium.

If the paint is old and flaking, there's a good chance it is
lead-based, so it can't be healthy for jays or anything that might
eat flakes or jays. I'd definitely advise getting rid of the flakes
and re-painting.

Best wishes,

BILL

*********

>I watched this morning as a Blue Jay twice landed and ate pieces of
>flaking paint from the metal railing on my back porch.  We checked
>the railing for bugs, seeds or pollen but couldn't find anything
>except the flaking paint and rust spots.
>
>We were alerted to his arrival by his soft imitation of a Red Winged
>Hawk.  He sat for about 15 seconds each time, calling and picking up
>little pieces of paint.  Both feeders held seed and suet is still
>available. Should I go out later and sand off these paint flakes?
>Doesn't seem real healthy to me!
>
>Claudia
>-----
>Claudia Egelhoff
>"Share a Story"
>Audio and video biographies for individuals, families and organizations
>Raleigh, North Carolina
>Get free personalized email from USA.com at http://mail.usa.com

*********

**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.