n. goshawk

Possible sighting! On I-40 between exits 55 & 59. I was westbound about
3:45 p.m. Saw an accipiter ahead, to my left (south) of the interstate. Got
closer and thought this bird too large for an accipiter. Just then, it
stooped, accipiter style, and disappeared into the treetops. Blue-gray back
and pretty clear underside. No way to stop and go back. If anyone gets a
chance to look for this bird, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Did see broad-wing at about exit 44 and got home to chipping sparrow and
brn. headed cowbird at the feeder. Also, wife heard wood thrush this
morning.

Strong suspicion that I saw n. goshawk. Only confirmed sighting I know of
in the area was at Caesar's Head; I believe '96.

Don Hendershot
Waynesville, NC
A Walk On The Wild Side   http://www.outdoorfun.com/walk.htm