Turkey Vultures and Wild Turkeys

For the first time in our yard, Turkey Vultures came to roost.
Certainly, we have them as frequent visitors to this, but this is the
first time in our 20 years here to have them as yard birds.

A few hours before dusk Friday, three of them settled in at the tops
of dead sweet gum and oak limbs at a remote corner of the yard.
Saturday night there were four.

Then last night, a fifth one joined them late, just before dark,
causing a commotion that could be heard quite a distance.  Two of
them tried to chase off the newcomer by rushing it.  The loud noise
came from the wings beating hard against the tree leaves.  During the
skirmish, the other two vultures moved to another tree 100 feet away.
The newcomer would not be moved, and soon all five settled down.

They eye me as I move through the yard, walking the dog or checking
the garden, but they do not seem disturbed by my presence.

Last Thursday, Bob saw a Wild Turkey crossing Wimberley Road, western
Wake County, one-half mile from our house, flying low from one
section of woods to another, about 7:30 in the morning.   We noticed
that we have been spotting Wild Turkeys more frequently, in our
drives through wooded sections of Chatham County, during the past
year than we have in years prior.

Martha K. Brinson
Green Level community, NC
(Piedmont area, west of Raleigh)