Turkeys and peacocks and Duke Forest

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Paula Jeannet wrote:

<snip>

> outline? Are there any records of wild turkeys at Duke, even in Duke
> Forest? I've always heard turkeys are rather shy, so I can hardly believe
> this is what it was. I'm stumped (not that this is anything but idle
> speculation). Maybe it was a plain old vulture...

Paula and others,

There are indeed Wild Turkeys in some of the sections of Duke Forest.
I've seen them in the Durham Division a couple of miles from campus.  The
Duke campus bird, however, I would guess is more likely to be an escaped
peacock or Guinae fowl, which are also seen sporadically in the area.

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Botany Dept. Box 90342
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278