dying Pine Siskins

Friends, I'm forwarding this inquiry from Althea Roberson from the NC
mountains.  Please reply directly to her at jrrobcj7@dnet.net.

len pardue, asheville, NC.

 I have another problem that is of real concern.  I  have identified the
birds to be the Pine Siskin.  They have taken over the  feeders, and have
pushed the Goldfinches to a number of two males and one  female.  This has
been  the first in four seasons that the Pine  Siskin  has appeared at our
feedeers.  My concern...  they are  dying left and right.  Four in the past
week.  And eight total in two  months.  They have the same symptons.  They
puff up and have labored  breathing. They get so sick that they don't even
fly away when approached.   There was one on the ground tonight that was
still alive, but couldn't  fly.  I picked it up and put it back in a tree.
We have emptied and  cleaned our two feeders.  All we are feeding  Thistle
and Sunflower  seeds.  We change the water daily in our little water dish
that attaches to  the deck.  Do You Have Any Idea As To What May Be The
Cause???????   Please advise!!!!!    Thank You For Your rConcern..   Althea
jrrobcj7@dnet.net