mallard woes

One of our dogs ventured onto the mud flats of a lowered lake by our house
this evening.  A female mallard flushed from within a couple of feet of his
nose and waddled towards the shore.  Our other dog and the neighbour's dog
took chase -- with humans following.  I thought the mallard could not fly
but she eventually took to the wing and circled round.  She landed further
up the lake from the site of her flushing.

Shortly afterwards we realized an accipter had gone down to where the
mallard was working her way back to the original site, giving the mallard
another scare.  We don't think the accipter took anything away.  About 10
minutes later the mallard had "retrieved" at least two young and they swam
off in line.

The trials of motherhood.

Sue Pulsipher
Linden, NC