Snakes

 Two bluebird boxes recenty checked had snakes in them. In the neighbor's
box she looked in and saw the snake, took the box down and tried to shake
it out.  Two barely alive chicks fell out but not the snake.  I suggested
giving the snake a sqirt of Raid and he gave up and came out.
	In the box at our Senior Center I noted that there was no feeding
activity so I reached up to feel the nest and what I felt were not eggs.
After a second check I slid the nest out and there was a beautiful
creature almost 3' long coiled up and pretty much asleep.  The nest was a
chickadee or titmouse.
	Another bird loving neighbor told me that once snakes enter a bluebird
box or a martin house the birds will not use it any more.  Same for fire
ants.  An old fashioned remedy is to apply turpentine around the post.
Ernest Snavely        Loris, SC 29569      843 756  4824
ka4slq@juno.com