The Hills Are Alive . . .

With the sound of WARBLERS!!!!!!!  Dwayne and I did some scouting for next
weekend's CBC meeting in Blowing Rock, NC and were quite pleased with the
results.  We had sixteen warbler species with relatively little effort!
What makes it all the better is that the trees aren't leafed out yet and you
can still see the birds as they forage.  We visited Altapass Orchard (very
briefly), Linville Falls, Wiseman's View (part of Linville Gorge Wilderness
Area), Boone Fork Wetlands, and Trout Lake.  Here's the list of what we had:

Pied-billed Grebe
Wood Duck
Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler (everywhere!)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler (a little unexpected in some pines at the entrance
to Linville Falls)
Pine Warbler (in the same vicinity as above)
Palm Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Swainson's Warbler (heard only--but quite well--at Linville Falls)
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Hooded Warbler
Canada Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Common Grackle
Pine Siskin (lots!)
American Goldfinch

Look forward to seeing some of you at the meeting next weekend!!!

Dwayne & Lori Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Claremont, NC
dlmartin@twave.net