Re: shorebirds at the Columbia sewage treatment plant

After reading Robin Carter's report late yesterday, I decided to check
the Columbia sewage treatment plant this morning to see if any good
shorebirds lingered.  Alas, I could not locate a Stilt Sandpiper (which
would have been a lifer), nor Semipalmated S., Western S., White-rumped S.,
C. Snipe.  The other species remain, however!  My numbers are similar to
yesterday, with but 1 Semipalmated Plover instead of 2, except I noticed
more Spotted S. (perhaps 10) and many more Solitary S. (perhaps 25).

In fact, the opportunity to study so many beautiful Solitary Sandpipers,
was a highlight of the morning.  I was reminded of Audubon's vivid portrait of
this species.

A pair of Yellow Warblers perched momentarily near me.

Directly across the street from the entrance building to the plant,
I had a great view of a flock of Bobolinks in the fields planted with
wheat(?).

Jerry Griggs,   j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC
--------------
ps

I hope Carolinabirders will continue to report on their birding experiences
with warmth and humor, whether they be with Mallards at bus stops or
"Commie" Blue Grosbeaks.  Many of us have similar frustrations finding
nemesis species and try to make light of it with self-deprecating humor.

Putting down other people's humor is not appropriate.  Referring to it
as " 'humour' " is certainly not very clever.  On a listserv such as this,
stop complaining and just hit the delete key if you don't get it.

Thanks to Jack McClain for addressing the serious side of this thread
far better than I ever could.