Can you help me ID a bird ??

Hi!

I'm a relatively new birder,  and today I spotted something I can't identify
for sure. I was birding at Cowans Ford Refuge at the observation deck at the
end of Neck Rd off Beatties Ford.

I know several of you bird there regularly and may could help me.

The bird was about 6" long, I think.  There was a flock of about 15 of these
guys hanging around.

The crown of his head was bright yellow as was the nape of neck.
The rest of his head, face and throat was jet-back, really glossy.

When perched, he appeared black everywhere else.
BUT when he flew, there was a solid  (no spots or stripes at all) wide,
stripe of white down the center of his back  and on tops of the wings.

His underneath (wings, belly etc) was totally jet-black, and really glossy.

There was absolutely no streaking anywhere, like what you see on warblers for
example .

Two birds would move from brush to grass and thene moments later the flock
would follow.  He perched on dead brush by the pond then flew into high
grass. He would go down into the grass and then pop his head out to look
around, then duck down again.

When he flew, it was a very controlled arching flight; very fast wing beats
similar the red winged blackbird.

When he came out of the grass he seemed to almost explode upand then zoom
away, much like a grouse does.

He had black legs and a short thick black beak. He also had prominent black
eyes, with no rings around them or anything.

The closest thing in my book is a Bobolink.  But the picture doesnt dhow the
back of the head or the nape of the neck so I can't verify if a Bobolink has
yellow on it.

Its voice sounded like someone gargling and changed pitch constantly.  Sorry,
thats the best I can do for sound.

These guys appeared to feed on the brown, wheat looking stuff in the field
between the end of the parking lot and the first pond.

But anyway, I would REALLY appreciate some help with this guy. I watched his
flock's for enarly 45 minutes, scouring my book, and inspecting the little
guys for anything distinctive.

I know I'm going to feel really stupid when one of you realizes what I've
seen and tells me that its a really common bird and not a Bobolink.
But hey, I haven't had a "stupid me" day since, oh, wel, since yesterday.

Seriously, I'd appreciate any help id'ing this guy. Maybe some of you who
bird Cowans Ford know what I've seen?

(By the way, I saw my first Kingbird today. YES!  It was exciting watching
him,)

Thanks for your help.

Terry Hamilton
Charlotte, NC