commie phobia

Am I the only one on this discussion group who finds the flood of
gratuitous comments about sneaky commie grosbeaks  outdated and
childish? I am all for posting fun messages, but there is something rather
ugly about an epithet like 'commie'--especially given the long history of
mindless communist bashings in this country. I would not want readers from
other list-serves, or other parts of the country reading our messages and
coming across such examples of 'humour'.

SHANTANU PHUKAN
Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
Curriculum in Asian Studies
Alumni Hall 413C
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599