Umstead birding

Howdy!

Five of us birded Umstead SP in Raleigh Saturday morning. I kept count for
the PIF migration survey. The birds were singing!!! I was thrilled to see 10
warbler species after reading about the great sightings on Carolinabirds. 7
Ovenbirds singing, and we got a great look at one of them. Finally turned in
such a way to see the orange on the crown. Have to admit the adorable Hooded
Warbler was my favorite of the day. Had brief looks at Parula,
Chestnut-sided, and Yellow-throated. We also had great looks at Black and
White, Redstart, and a La. Waterthrush perched, singing about mid level on a
tree over a creek. A hummingbird zoomed by us. We were treated to 4 vocal
Red-headed Woodpeckers, having a discussion over territory. Also saw Veery,
Wood Thrush, and Red-eyed Vireos.

In reference to Will and Sandy's emails, I also made a note that we didn't
even hear a Carolina Wren. We did hear a Phoebe, Pewee, Acadian and
Great-crested Flycatchers along the trail.

We added another warbler to our weekend at Shelly Lake on Sunday, a
Black-throated Blue. It was a fun birding weekend.

Blowing Rock in 2 days!!!!! Happy birding!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC