SC Migrants - 2 May

Carolinabirders,

While working at Fort Jackson (Columbia, Richland County) this
AM, I encountered a group of spring migrants. Most of these birds
were feeding in Tulip Poplar trees and the whole group was moving
along the edge of a bottomland hardwood area. Rarely do I find
spring migrants in numbers like this. The numbers included were
probably the tip of the iceberg.

Highlights were;

  1  Black-billed Cuckoo
11 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
42  Red-eyed Vireo
28  Gray Catbird
  2  Blue-winged Warbler
20  Northern Parula (mostly males)
  5 Yellow Warbler
26  Cape May Warbler
56  Black-throated Blue Warblers (about equal number males &
	females)
  8  Black-and-white Warbler
34  American Redstart
  7  Bay-breasted Warbler
10  Blackpoll Warbler
19  Northern Waterthrush
14 Scarlet Tanager (all males)
30  Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2:1, males to females & most of the
	males were singing)
21 Baltimore Oriole (only a few adult males)

Good Birding,      lex

Lex Glover
SC DNR
Columbia, SC