locusts

yesterday while sitting on my deck, i noticed a carolina chick-a-dee struggling with something in a
cherry tree. I put my binocs on it and saw  a big juicy locust fighting for its life. The bird won! I have
never seen a bird enjoy a meal like that! This scene also solved another riddle for me. We suddenly
have starlings in our yard. I started watching their dances along the tree branches and figured out
that they were sliding along the branches to find the locusts.Also enjoying the locusts were m and f
redbreasted grosbeaks. We had scarlet tanagers and baltimore oreole at that time. We have a new
appreciation of the birds. Can you imagine what the locusts would have done to our trees!

Dot Hedrick   5-3-00
richanddot@twave.net