house finch behavior

Birders,
I saw a male House Finch fly into the coral honeysuckle that I planted for
the hummers. He plucked a flower off, chewed for a moment on the stem area
and them dropped the flower. He did this with several flowers.
I remember as a child I would pull the flowers off the honeysuckle and taste
the sweet nectar at the other end of the flower. House finch seem to hang out
lots at hummer feeders. Could this be what they were doing? Has anyone else
seen this behavior?

Karen Beatty
Virginia Beach, VA