Re: Nest interlopers

Indeed, all species of songbird are protected *except* Rock Dove
(Pigeon), the House (English) Sparrow, and the European Starling. These
were left off the Federal and State lists, for very good reasons. They
are pests, and in the case of starlings and H. Sparrows, they destroy
native birds and their nests.

On Sun, 7 May 2000 13:54:06 -0400 (EDT) jpandjf@ix.netcom.com writes:
> Just a reminder, in case it's needed, that it's against federal law
> to harm, or even harass, ANY
> native species of songbird.  English Sparrows, European Starlings,
> and Rock Doves are not considered
> native species, and are not protected.  I wanted to post this
> because, for example, Dennis Rogers,
> columnist in the Raleigh News & Observer, bragged last year of
> having shot a 'bothersome'
> Mockingbird in his yard.
>
> Janine Perlman, licensed rehabilitator
> Hillsborough, NC

Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.