Re: Nest interlopers

Pheasants (non-native) are protected by a hunting season as a game bird.
The season is short, and the bag is small. NC for some reason does not
support very large populations of Ring Necked Pheasant; I have heard that
they require much higher concentration of Calcium in their diet. I also
think (IMHO) that they require cooler weather. (Most are found north of
here.)

On Mon, 08 May 2000 02:26:59 -0400 Jack Dozier <jdozier@nettally.com>
writes:
> At 08:59 PM 5/7/00 -0400, Alex Netherton wrote:
> >Indeed, all species of songbird are protected *except* Rock Dove
> >(Pigeon), the House (English) Sparrow, and the European Starling.
> These
> >were left off the Federal and State lists, for very good reasons.
> They
> >are pests, and in the case of starlings and H. Sparrows, they
> destroy
> >native birds and their nests.
>
> New to the exceptions is the E. Collared Dove.  In other words,
> exotics are
> generally not protected.  I suppose it's a moot point to ask about
> the
> pheasants, as most (all ?) are located in refuges.
>

> Jack Dozier
> Alligator Pt., FL
> jdozier@nettally.com

Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.