Protected Birds

HI . . .

Just to clarify the current thread about what's protected and what's
not, the Federal Migratory Bird treaty protects all native wild birds
in the U.S., not just songbirds. (That's why, for example, hawks and
hummingbirds are protected.) There are additional laws that protect
gamebirds (ducks, pheasants, quail, etc.) but allow them to be hunted
in season. And then there are additional laws that protect endangered
and threatened bird species. Crows are protected songbirds, too,
but--like some other species--can be taken under special "nuisance"
permits.

House Sparrows and European Starlings are both songbirds but are
excluded because they are introduced foreign species. Some postings
have implied that the Rock Dove is a songbird--it's not, of
course--but is likewise not protected because it is introduced. I
think it is correct that any introduced species can be taken, unless
it is a gamebird (such as Ring-necked Pheasant).

The migratory bird laws are far-ranging and not only prohibit the
killing or possession of any native wild bird but also any of its
parts (feathers, bones, etc.), eggs, or nests. Any dead birds or bird
artifacts should be turned over immediately to an institution that
has the proper salvage and collection permits; this would usually
mean a museum, college, or university in your area that could
probably make very good use of fresh specimens.

Incidentally, federal bird laws are layered with state game laws, and
violators can be prosecuted at both levels. In reality, the laws, are
difficult to enforce, but they are good laws and exist for very good
reasons--to protect the killing of wild birds.

Now if we could just get some equally strong laws on the books to
conserve bird habitats, maybe we could REALLY protect the birds!

Happy Birding!

BILL
**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.