Wren/Squirrel cohabitation

Hello all;

My Chickadee nestlings (2, I believe) have fledged and I was cleaning out
the nest box yesterday when I decided to check on my "roosting" flying
squirrel.  He/She was occupying my "downy woodpecker" nest box the last time
I checked.  Imagine my surprise when a Wren came darting out of the box when
I opened it!!   I decided to continue to open the box to see what surprises
were inside, when I noticed 3 sets of eyes staring back at me!!  It seems
that the wren has built a nest on top of the Flying Squirrels nest!!  The
nest "system" inside the box is in the shape of a "C" and too high for me to
see if the wrens' nest had any eggs.

Well, I wish them both luck and this could give new meaning to "Can't we all
just get along!?!"

Tracy McAbee-Pheneger
Durham, NC