CBC birds and yard birds

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made the CBC meeting in Blowing
Rock so enjoyable.  The scenery was lovely and the birds cooperative.  A
special thanks to John Wright for taking the extra time to lead us to find
the Golden-winged Warblers and the Ceruleans (especially the female) on
Sunday Morning.  And a special thanks to Dwayne Martin for showing us the
Wagoner property.  Bobolinks, Yellow Warblers everywhere, and even a
singing Warbling Vireo (some birds you just have to hear "live" to believe
because the tapes just don't do them justice and Warbling Vireo is one of
them).

After a weekend filled with warblers, I came home to find a warbler
surprise in my own yard.  Thinking that my eyes were tired and my brain
fuzzy, I was trying hard to convince myself that that bright golden yellow
bird who flew by was really just a goldfinch.  It almost worked - until the
bird flew by again.  No missing it this time - Prothonotary Warbler.  In a
few minutes I noticed he was singing in the yard.  As I scanned the trees
from the porch, I noticed a female Prothonotary perched on top of the
bluebird house nearest the pond.  Then I heard the male singing right near
her.   If this were Eastern Bluebirds, I would know they were on the verge
of selecting this box in which to nest.  He spent much of the rest of the
afternoon singing in various places around the yard.  And again this
morning, I heard the Prothonotary in the yard, again singing in two of the
same spots he sang from yesterday.  Again, if this were Eastern Bluebirds,
I would know at the very least that he was claiming this area for
territory, including the nest box.  Could these two really be considering
nesting in the box in the yard?!  What an astounding thought!

Anyway, thanks again to all who made Blowing Rock a success!

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina

	Coulmbia Audubon Society