Re: Pheasants

I am a 16 year resident of Hatteras Island have probably set foot on almost
all the Park Service lands on Hatteras Island.  There are still some small
pockets of Ring-Necked Pheasants on Hatteras Island.  I saw an adult male
bird between Buxton and Avon last summer and have probably encountered
another half dozen behind Food Lion in Avon since 1992.  I think the bulk
of the population that remains is located between Food Lion and the sound
in the undeveloped portion of Kinnakeet Shores.  It is a rare sight to see
one on Hatteras Island but they are still hanging on.  Hurricane Gloria in
1984 reduced the population significantly, especially the birds at Pea
Island.  Although I have not visited Portsmith Island, there are many
substantiated reports of a healthy pheasant population there.  I have
talked extensively with long time Island residents and there apparently
used to be a large number of pheasants on Hatteras Island especially in the
area where Teach's Lair Marina sits today (Hatteras Village).  So in
summation, these birds to breed on the Outer Banks and I would consider
them countable.

Brian Van Druten
Frisco, NC