Bluebird egg destruction

A friend of mine asked me to post this question.  Last week he found a
single egg on the ground directly beneath the entrance hole to his
bluebird house.  Over the weekend, he found two more in the same place.
He reports a small gash in each, but the eggs have not been actually
eaten (there was yolk inside).  Anyone have ideas as to what could be
happening?  I asked him to take a peek and see if there may be a baby
cowbird inside.  Would other birds try to take over the house?  They did
build their nest on top of an old chickadee nest.  Any opinions,
hypotheses or conjecture would be welcome.  Thanks.
--
Marsha Stephens
Computer & Network Support Services