Space on Pelagic Trips May 20 and 21, June 2,3, and 4

Dear Carolinabirders,

We still have space on both of this weekend's pelagic trips from
Hatteras, NC, as well as on trips from Manteo on Friday, June 2 and from
Hatteras on June 3 and 4. While all of our Memorial Day Weekend pelagic
trips are sold out, these other dates offer an excellent chance to see
the same species, including rare Pterodromas and tropicbirds. Just last
Saturday, a Herald Petrel was seen about 30 miles off Hatteras by Brian
Van Druten who fishes on the Albatross II. He also saw Black-capped
Petrels, Audubon's Shearwaters, and three species of storm-petrels that
day. There is a good chance to see all of those species and more on this
weekend's trips. All three species of jaegers should be migrating
northward now and the Audubon's Shearwaters should be soon joined by
Cory's, Greater, Sooty, and Manx Shearwaters. Spring trips also offer
the best chance for finding Fea's Petrel, and we have photographed two
Bermuda Petrels in late May since 1996.

Both this weekend and the first weekend in June shouldn't be too crowded
here on the Outer Banks. Motel rates go up on Memorial Day weekend, but
rates at the Duke Of Dare Motor Lodge in Manteo and the Cape Pines Motel
in Buxton will be reasonable in June as well.

For more information about these trips, as well as many other trips this
summer and fall, please visit our website at http://www.patteson.com/. I
can also be reached by telephone at (252) 986-1363.

Happy seabirding,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC
Brian@Patteson.com