another bird for the CBC mtg.

To whomever is making the official list for the CBC mtg.:

Carolyn Bush and I had a Red Crossbill at our motel on Sunday AM. (the
7th).  Since there were official trips  on Sun. I guess it should be
countable.  We were taking our time getting started after the wonderful
owl prowl the night before where we were so ably led and heard lots of
Saw-whet Owls.  The Valley View Motel on the side of the mtn. south of
Blowing Rock (Rte.321, I think), is very inexpensive and has fantastic
views.  Imagine our delight when a red finchy-looking bird flew to the
top of a dead spruce directly in front us, on our balcony, no more than
3 yards away and it turned out to be a crossbill.

Good birding all,  Mary McDavit
osprey@nccoast.net

We birded Valle Crucis later and got the King Rail and Willow
flycatchers in 2 places, among other stuff.  The restaurant in the
little shopping center is Fabulous, by the way.

Good birding, Mary McDavit
osprey@nccoast.net