Haywood County Birds

Dear C-birders,
	Bob Olthoff and I led a birding trip in Haywood County for the Haywood =
Arts Council, Sat. 5/20. For a rather low-key event (beginning at =
9a.m.), we wound up with a respectable 73 species. We had 15 warblers. =
Of note:

The nesting peregrines at Devil's Courthouse, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, =
may be easily viewed from the parking lot with a spotting scope. There =
has been a ranger there, keeping an eye out - the ranger can point the =
nest out for you. If the ranger isn't there: look for some rust colored =
streaks below and to the right (from the parking lot) of the overlook on =
top of DC. Just above, and to the left of the left-most streak is the =
nest- a platform of twigs on a ledge. You can find the nest by scanning =
the area above the streaks with 10X binocs.

The find of the day was two prothonotarys. They appeared to be on =
territory. This may be a Haywood County record. Because they are on =
private property and logistics for access haven't been ironed out, I =
can't give their location. Hopefully, by Mon. afternoon there will be =
something worked out. Look for a posting either Mon. or Tue.

This location is unique habitat for Haywood County and is rich in birds. =
We found both Baltimore, and (an exotic-looking first-year) orchard =
orioles as well as y-b chat, common yellowthroat, e. kingbird, e. =
phoebe, willow flycatcher, and others.

Also, alder flycatchers at the parking area at Black Balsam on the BRP.

Good Birding,
Don Hendershot
Waynesville, NC
A Walk On The Wildside http://www.outdoorfun.com/walk.htm