Something urgent which I forgot

Hi again,

Derb Carter, a few days ago, notified us of an ill-conceived attempt to
make timber and agriculture activities exempt from NC state wetland
protection laws. I just sent off a letter to DENR protesting this. While
composing it, I noticed the calendar of public hearings devoted to the
issue. Unfortunately, Derb's post came too late for any of us to make the
hearing in Raleigh. However, tomorrow, May 30, there will be a hearing in
Wilmington, and on June 1 another will take place in New Bern. Employees
and beneficiaries of the timber and agriculture industries are often very
good at organizing and showing up at such events, and making their points
of view known to the government officials in attendance. Any birders and
other supporters of the environment and conservation should do their
utmost to attend as well, and make clear to our state government that
there are two sides to this debate. Here are the details, from
http://www.southernenvironment.org/

DATE, TIME:   Tuesday, May 30, 2000, 6:00 p.m.
        LOCATION:     UNC-Wilmington, Cameron Hall, Room 105, 601 S.
College Road, Wilmington
        HEARING OFFICER: Franklin Clark

        DATE, TIME:  Thursday, June 1, 2000, 6:00 p.m.
        LOCATION:    Craven County Courthouse, Superior Court Rm, 2nd
Flr, 302 Broad Street, New Bern
        HEARING OFFICER: Bob Epting

Be there, or your favorite local birding spot may turn into another
Loblolly Pine monoculture...

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University