RE: peregrines in NC mountains?

The Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program of the North Carolina Wildlife
Resources Commission monitors nesting Peregrine Falcons in North Carolina.
Currently we know of ten sites where peregrines are present, six with
chicks.

The sites are as follows: Big Lost Cove, Avery Co.; Blue Rock (Hickorynut
Gorge), Rutherford Co.; Devil's Courthouse (Blue Ridge Parkway),
Transylvania Co.; Grandfather Mt., Avery Co.; Hanging Rock State Park,
Stokes Co.; Linville Gorge (Shortoff Mt.), Burke Co.; Looking Glass Mt.,
Transylvania Co.; Pantertail Mt., Transylvania Co.; Whiterock Cliff, Madison
Co.; Whiteside Mt.; Jackson Co.

The most accessible sites for viewing falcons are: Devil's Courthouse (from
the parking lot you can see into the eyrie with a scope), Whiteside Mt.
(from the top falcons may be observed in flight), Looking Glass Mt. (falcons
maybe seen in flight from some of the trails), and possibly along the
Profile Trail at Grandfather Mt.

John Cecil

John P. Cecil
Contract Biologist
Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program
North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
91 White Oak Road
Arden, North Carolina 28704
(828) 650-6610
johncecil@home.com