Re: RT Hummingbirds possibly double-brooded

Hello Ginger and All-

It is very likely that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds breeding in the Piedmont
of the Carolinas have time to raise two broods during the season.
Unfortunately we do not really know.  There are a only few nest record
cards at the museum for this species and they all document single nesting
attempts.  None of the other observations I have read made over the years
involve more than one brood either.  Double brooding certainly has been
documented in other southeastern states but I am unaware of any real
evidence for the Piedmont (i.e female laying two sets of eggs in the same
nest during a summer).  I would appeal to anyone that is ever fortunate
enough to find an active hummer nest to make notes and let me know about
it.

It is VERY difficult to spot hummer nests in general.  They are, of course
tiny (opening the size of a quarter) and very well camouflaged (with local
mosses and/or lichen).  Also the females are, naturally,  pretty sneaky as
they come and go.  Neither the Sargents nor I have ever found a nest-- and
Bob has really been looking for a number of years!  I imagine that in the
open habitat of the Piedmont, which generally consists of taller hardwoods,
nests are even harder to come across. I have heard that finding nests on
the coast and along floodplains in the mountains is a bit easier since the
birds tend to nest in thicker, shorter vegitation that grows a good bit
closer to eye level.

So if any of you knows of current or historic Ruby-throated nesting
attempts in any part of North or South Carolina, please let me know.
Hopefully we will be able to produce a better answer to this interesting
question in the near future.

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net