Directions to Henslow's Sparrow Site

Carolinabirders,

Around the end of May a number of birders, both local and out-of-state,
often like to visit the Henslow's Sparrow sites on the way to or from
pelagic or other birding trips on the Outer Banks.  California birder Joe
Morlan communicated with me today to remind me that my directions to the
main site need to be rewritten due to some signs being down.

Following are directions to Voice of America Site A for a birder travbeling
on US 64:  At Williamston, go south on US 17.  Depending of where you get on
US 17, you will reach the boundary with Beaufort County after about 8-10
miles.  There is a small green sign at the county boundary.  From this point
travel another 1.4 miles and turn right on SR 1419 (this should be Woolard
Road, but the sign may be down).  After another 1.9 miles turn right onto SR
1414 (Horsepen Swamp Road).  You will reach the VOA Site in about 2.5 miles.
You will see the large grassy area on your right, with many transmitting
towers.  The last 1 mile of Horsepen Swamp Road which parallels the site is
the best area for the Henslow's.  You can easily hear them from the
roadside.  Listen to your tape if you are unfamiliar with the call.  The
males perch while in song, usually on a tall weed stem or more likely near
the top of a small shrub or young sapling.  These birds are almost always
about twice as far away as you think they are, and can be fairly easily
heard up to about 250 yards out.  A scope is useful if you want to get lifer
looks, but even without a scope, you can see the bird throw back its head as
it "sings" its pitiful little song.

There are Grasshopper Sparrows on the site, which have a similar head
profile and can be confused with the Henslow's from a distance, but they
have a different song and have a plain, unstreaked breast.  If you think you
hear Henslow's but are not sure, remember that some of the short notes of
the abundant Meadowlarks can be confused with the Henslow's song when both
are heard from a distance.

Don't be too concerned about time of day.  Although these sparrows do sing
more steadily in the morning, they will sing sporadically all day long, and
even into the dark of night.  They will remain in song all summer.  They
just don't know when to shut up.  I do, and will right now.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE VOICE OF AMERICA SITE IS NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
PLEASE STAY OUTSIDE THE FENCE AT ALL TIMES.

John

John and Paula Wright     h 252-756-5139

jwright@skantech.net      Greenville, North Carolina