Big Woods Rd.

Happy Sunday
    Just returned from an excellent trip to the Big Woods Rd. wetlands
area.  Observed Orchard Oriole, female and immature male, Yellow-billed
Cuckoo, Prothonotary Warbler, Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Kingbird,
Eastern Bluebirds male and female, Red-Winged Blackbird, Canadian Geese,
Green Heron, Phoebe and a friendly fellow Carolina Bird(er)-Shelly
Thayer-(Hope I got her name spelled right  I havehad the pleasure
reading  her postings on listserrve.  Always a pleasure to meet one of
you.).
    Also present were two river otter, I had observed beaver at Big
Woods before but not river otter.  What a thrill, this is only the third
time I have observed river otter and they are absolutely awesome to
behold.  These two were small and appeared to be either siblings, or
young lovers.  Lots of physical contact, nose touching, communicating.
Steve Hall, who most of you probably know; told me river otter often
reuse areas beaver have been buidling dams.  I guess there is room at
Big Woods  for both to make it home.
    If there is anything better than natures' wonders I sure haven't
found it yet.

Happy birding, Melissa Conley-Spencer