Red Crossbills/Mt. Mitchell Area

Folks,
        Bob Olthoff, Ron Selvey and I headed up the Blue Ridge Parkway in
search of Red Crossbills this morning.  As we were heading north on the
parkway, at Balsam Gap, we saw a couple with a scope and wondered what they
were looking at.  At the same time, we saw activity in the top of the
conifers and realized that they may be looking a Crossbills.  We stopped,
and yes,  they were looking at Crossbills.  I'm sorry, but after the
introductions, their names escape me.  We looked at the birds for 5-10
minutes and I would estimate the flock at 25-30 birds.  We proceeded on to
Mt. Mitchell, and had 7 more birds on the ground behind the restaurant.  I
was probably not more then 30 feet from them and got some great video
footage.  Also present were 10+ Pine Siskins.  On our way back down the
parkway, we had Cerulean Warblers at the very dependable Bull Creek
Overlook.  We had also stopped at Balsam Gap, hiked the Big Butt Trail, and
again heard a large flock of Red Crossbills!

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
245 Stonebrook Drive