Blue Grosbeaks, Indigo and Painted Buntings

I've been out casually birding the area near Heathwood Hall in southeast
Columbia, SC.  It's an area of farmland  right on the banks of the Congaree
River and close to town.  I usually go in the evening around 7pm and stay
for 30-45 minutes.  I've been out there about 5 times in the last week and
have seen the birds mentioned above very day.  At  times the Indigo Buntings
and Blue Grosbeaks are sitting very near each and yesterday  (right before I
left), a Painted Bunting joined them. I'm getting to know there songs  a
little better since they seem to be roosting.  It's been clear  and
beautiful in Columbia the past week and the different colors of these three
birds have been spectacular in the setting sun.  I've seen a female Blue
Grosbeak and a female Painted Bunting also.  Other birds of note out there
have been Common Yellowthroat (male and female) and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo
(I saw this one flying over and could not get a good at it's head when he
lit in a tree, so I'm guessing Yellow-billed instead of Black since they're
more common to this region).

You don't have to go far to find beautiful birds this time of year!

Thanks - James

-- James Wilson
820 1/2 Buckingham Road
Columbia, SC 29205