tree swallows;sapsuckers;peregrines

C-birders:

Haywood County can be added to the list of mountain counties with nesting
tree swallows. They have been nesting at Lake Junaluska for a few years,
since '96 for sure. This year, a friend, Jim Stevenson put up 2 bluebird
boxes at Autumn Care nursing home on S. Main St. (Old Balsam Road) in
Waynesville and bluebirds occupied one and tree swallows, the other.

We found a juvenile yellow-bellied sapsucker Sat. 6/10 along the Blue Ridge
Parkway, near Big Witch Gap. This is the second year in a row I have found
nesting sapsuckers in this area.

Two of the peregrine chicks at Devil's Courthouse (BRP) are molting into
immature plumage. It looks like a couple of more weeks and they'll be outta
there. The runt is still white and its survival may be questionable.

Also, today 6/12, Bob Olthoff and I heard hermit thrush at the parking area
to Paul's Gap hiking trails along Heintooga Ridge Rd., off the BRP.