Lark Sparrows in the Sandhills

Hello All-

Especially with Alan Schultz's post last week, I wanted to update and
clarify things with regards to the (tiny population of) Lark Sparrows
breeding in the Sandhills:

1.  Where Alan found birds last week is in *an off limits area*.  It is not
ever open to the general public.  The nesting birds were (and have been in
prior years) on US Army Special Forces drop zones (areas they use for
parachute landings during practice excersizes--on a regular basis) at Camp
Mc Call.  Unfortunately, the sparrows cannot be viewed or heard from the
nearest paved road.  Anyone attempting to get into these areas undetected
will invariably run into MPs and/or Special Forces soldiers!

2.  The good news is that Alan has generously offered to lead a group into
the area as a field trip during the CBC Meeting here (Southern Pines; May
4-6) next Spring.  Therefore folks will have a unique opportunity to view
the birds in this tiny disjunct population in 2001.

Hmmm, I guess this is my first plug for the next Spring CBC meeting!!

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net