Scarlet Tanagers in e. NC

I've personally had Scarlet Tanagers in the breeding season east to
Dismal Swamp State Natural Area in Camden County. Then, I've had the
species in Cliffs of th eNeuse SP in Wayne, and a few on my BBS route in
s.w. Robeson County. I had a singing male even at Myrtle Head Savanna in
n.w. Brunswick County one summer! I consider that a little out of range.
At any rate, there is some NE-SW line running from Dismal Swamp
southwest through the central Coastal Plain, and I'm sure there are some
outposts east of Camden, Wayne, and Robeson. I wonder if they nest at
Island Creek natural area in n.e. Jones County, or Flanner Beach in
Craven along the Neuse River (both in Croatan NF). Both are rich, mesic
hardwood areas that remind me of the Piedmont.

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program