American Kestrel Breeding in N.C. Sandhills

From fieldwork I have conducted at Fort Bragg and Camp Mackall
(Cumberland, Moore, Hoke, Richmond and Scotland Counties), in the
Sandhills of southeastern North Carolina, there appears to be an
encouraging number of breeding American Kestrels. During the summer of
1996, while surveying drop zones through the  above areas for Loggerhead
Shrikes, I had 14 observations of Kestrel activities. These were
sightings coincidental to my primary goal. It is likely that I recorded
activity of some individuals more than once and very likely missed many
others.

Enlarged Red-cockaded Woodpecker nest cavities (possibly by Pileated
Woodpeckers) give Kestrels a very satisfactory nest site.

Wayne Irvin
ephstop@mindspring.com
145 Riding Lane
Southern Pines, NC 28387