Another yellow-rumped w

Cbirders,

Peter Vankevich sent me the following message and asked that I post it to
this group.  It  is interesting that it comes so soon after the Hilton's SC
bird.

Peter's message:
On Saturday, June 17, 2000 around 7:00 A.M. in Ocracoke village near the
British Cemetery, I heard a soft trilling that I was sure was a
Yellow-rumped Warbler. After a few moments of pishing, it flew right
above me and continued singing. It was a male in breeding plumage. I
had a very clear view of it.  The next morning I returned with a
Cannon 210 lense and after about ten minutes I heard it again. This
time it was in Teeters Campground adjacent to the cemetery. I went in
a little ways and after some pishing, it flew up. I was able to get
some pictures that I hope will at least be able to identify it. The
bird did not appear at all to be injured. John Fussell's book
indicates that there are no June, July or August records of
Yellow-rumps on the NC coast.  Because this was a business trip of sorts,
I was limited in time for birding on both days. Something I probably regret.

    Now for the complications: 1. Tom Wright who was with me saw a second bird
he is sure was another Yellow-rumped, (this was based on size
and the yellow patch as it flew into a tree). He was not able,
however, to determine whether it was a male or female. I did not see
the second bird as I was trying to photograph the singing one. Only
one bird was singing.
      2. I visited with Kathleen O'Neal who runs Island Artworks
which is located just a short walk from the area. When I mentioned
the warbler, she said she thought she saw some last summer in the same
place.  She volunteered to try to keep a look out for it (I am now back in
Washington, DC). If you would like an update from Kathleen, her phone
number is 252 928-3892 and email, I believe,  is: ocraart@beachlink.com

Is this as unusual as I think it is? Peter Vankevich
(pvank@cais.net)Washington, DC

Thanks,
Hal Broadfoot
halwb@aol.com