Notable Johnston/Wilson birds

Yesterday, June 20, I surveyed part of northern Johnston Co. for rare
species and natural areas as part of a Johnston County natural heritage
inventory. I had a number of interesting bird sightings, but
unfortunately cannot corroborate some for actual local nesting.

At a huge beaver pond complex on the Little River north of Mudham Road
(Mudhound Rd in the DeLorme Atlas), the Great Blue Heron colony is still
active. I counted 5 nests with either adults or full-grown young. Of
course, there could be other nests farther upstream. The colony has been
active here for a number of years. I also saw a female or juvenile
Anhinga getting out of the water and drying its wings on a dead tree
(tons of dead trees here). I could never find an Anhinga nest, but the
habitat is suitable. For now, I guess it's just a visitor until proven
otherwise.

I then went to Buckhorn Reservoir along the Wilson County line. The lake
level has now been raised to the 150-foot mark. This was quite
controversial, as habitat for endangered mussels was destroyed in Turkey
and Moccasin creeks. There is a Bald Eagle nest, now standing in a dead
tree in the new portion of the lake; it was formerly a large pine in the
swamp above the lake. I saw an immature eagle, but I don't know if it
was one reared locally or a migrant. Also, I saw an adult Osprey. Could
it be nesting there? There is suitable habitat, with some dead trees.

Nearby, I saw an adult Cooper's Hawk and an American Kestrel. The
Cooper's probably nests locally -- I saw one at another place in
Johnston Co. last week. The kestrel could be an early migrant. Who
knows?  I also saw about 10 Great Egrets at the upper end of the Turkey
Creek arm, but there was a cop with a flashing light conversing with
fishermen there, so I didn't stop! (A few Great Blue Herons and a
Killdeer were also at the lake.)

As much as I hated to see the water level raised at the lake, it could
be a boon for birders. There are several public roads that now dead-end
at Buckhorn Res. The former causeway in the middle of the lake is now
under water -- Bailey Rd. now ends at the lake on both sides. Also, Bunn
Rd dead ends at the lake from both sides -- this is a good place to scan
the lake. New Sandy Hill Rd is good for checking the upper end of the
lake, except when cops are there. On the other hand, Bissette Rd. at the
upper end of the Moccasin Creek arm is not good for lake viewing.  I
didn't drive down Sullivan Rd., but I'm sure that is now underwater at
the lake. The eagle nest can be viewed from a bend along the southern
end of Hogg Road, as well as from the eastern end of Bunn Rd. A public
road to a boat ramp near the dam was closed yesterday.

Finally, I saw a road-killed Mink on Taylors Mill Rd., only 0.1 mile
west of Taylors Millpond. I don't recall seeing a Mink in NC away from
the coast, though I know they do occur across the state.
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program