Migrants...

Hi folks,

I've been off line for a few days and so have missed the latest postings. So
it's interesting that I read them now, since I too had a Yellow-rump today
at the SRS in Barnwell County, SC. I was a little perplexed, since I was
pretty certain they didn't breed here (though they are a relatively common
breeder in MA where I'm from). My guess is that the Yellowthroat is also a
migrant or dispersal. WHY?...

We have put transmitters on (only) 4 adult male Ovenbirds here in the SRS (I
say only because we plan on doing this again next year. I came in at the end
of the breeding season this year). I have been following them to their
nests/young/foraging etc.. On the 16th of this month I found a bird 1 mile
from the place where It had been staying for the prev. 2 weeks. The next
day, it was GONE. I have a variable range with this antenna/reciever from a
min. of 600m, (trees, hills etc. make it pretty bad, but you can search
thoroughly and get several points of attack on the site... lots of trails,
roads, fire towers etc.) all the way out to 4+ miles. (Today, I found
another signal/bird 4 miles from its home range where it had just finnished
nesting last Tuesday). I suspect that I'll be saying "see ya" to that bird
in the next few days as well.

SO... What am I suggesting? That there is an early migration/dispersal for a
longer distance than most people would think. More than I had thought for
certain. Think about it... You just spent 9 days feeding young like mad and
had fed your "better half" for the previous 2 weeks as she sat on eggs. You
have defended your territory and have perhaps had to feed young that are
skittering away from predators. You feed up for a few days, and then...

YER OTTA THERE!

Leaving an area that you KNOW, have spent SOooo long in, and that you have
"chosen" because of the forage that it might produce for you and your young.
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?!? Don't you KNOW that neotropical migrant
birds are on the DECLINE!?!?!? BACk to Ovenbird school for you my friend.
(heh heh heh)

So I hope this little bit of brain food makes folks think.

Meanwhile, I ask that you also think of the 50% of the Brazilian rainforest
that's being voted on (for sale) by the Brazilian congress.

Support your local rainforest conservation project. I've been there... it's
worth saving at any cost.

Happy rainy days and happy summer,

Paul Champlin
Aiken, SC